World Freedom Federation

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Freedom Federation CyberNations alliance forum

4 posters

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup

chauncy
    chauncy
    Deputy Skymarshal
    Deputy Skymarshal

Alliance : Weird Freedumb Featherasian

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup Empty Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup

Post by chauncy Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:40 am

I like pork. I like dumplings. I like getting pork all inside my dumplings, and dumplings all around my pork. They're pretty easy to make, and even easier to cook. Now some peolpe like "pot stickers" but I find the crispness of the dumpling makes it hard to bite into, so I prefer the softer steamed version. I usually make my own dough or pasta for a lot of things, but I don't have as much counter space to roll out dough easily, so I tried to use the store bought wonton wrappers this time. Another first for me, is the balsamic vinegar with the peppers and onions, I thought with the vinegar, the pepper and onions would pick up it's sweetness to give it a little more of a flair than just pork with onion and pepper. For the dipping sauce I kind of do a bastardization of the take out Chinese brown sauce and a teriyaki sauce, it's got some of the saltiness from the soy sauce as well as a hint of that oceany kind from the oyster sauce, while the sweetness from the brown sugar kind of balances it out.

Steamed Pork Dumplings:

1pkg Wonton Wrappers, or to make your own 1 cup flour and 1 cup water (may need to add extra flour)
    1lb package of Pork (or beef or chicken)
    1 Red Pepper
    1 White Onion
    1tsp Soy Sauce
    1tsp Worcestershire Sauce
    6Tbs Balsamic vinegar (just kinda guessing here)
    Some water for the wontons (some people use egg, but water is easier and just as effective)

Dice the Red Pepper and onion, but it in a pan with the balsamic vinegar and fry 'em 'til the vinegar is gone and the pepper and onions are soft.

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup Walda0
    The Vinegar will cook off and lose it's vinegariness, and leave a sweeter taste

Let those cool for a bit so you can mix them with the pork. Add the Soy Sauce and Worcestershire Sauce with the Pepper and Onion to the pork. Don't mix it for too long, you don't want to overwork the meat, that makes it shitty.

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup 2n6eres
    When handling raw meat: No Glove, No Love

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup 2eycpqs
    vomit anyone?

Now for the tricky part that I can never get perfect, take a wrap in one hand and wet the sides and add a bit of the filling, you don't want to over stuff it as it will be harder to close it. For Chinese places, the basic style is to fold one side while you pinch it closed, but with the wonton wrappers I had a hell of a time, as I usually cut out circles of the dough when I make it.

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup 148dr2f

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup 9bivwl
    kinda cute right?

Meh... Anyways, after you get them all made, fill your steamer with water and bring it to a boil. Pack it all up with your dumplings, but make sure they got some space as they like to stick to each other. Steam them for about 10-20 minutes, making sure not to overcook as the filling will get a little dry.

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup Kbdi09

Now the Dipping Sauce (these measurements are kind of a guess as I kinda forgot to write the exact down after):

1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup Soy Sauce
    1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
    1Tbs Oyster Sauce
    1/4 cup Brown Sugar
    1Tbs ginger (I use Powdered Ginger because, well, I have some of it)
    1tsp Garlic (Powdered again because I didn't want to cut up a whole clove)
    2-3tsp cornstarch mixed with water (or as much water until it gets that cool consistency when you try and stab it with the spoon)

In a saucepan over medium heat bring the Chicken Broth, Soy Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, Oyster Sauce, Brown sugar, Ginger, and Garlic to a boil.

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup 4lrqra
    I use a chopstick to get the oyster sauce out as the top to the bottle is small, and the sauce is thick

Slowly mix the Cornstarch in while stirring until the sauce gets the desired consistency. Now some people do it kinda thin, I like it a little thicker so it doesn't drip all over the place and off the dumpling.

Great! it's done! Very Happy

What's that? Yeah just put 'em on a plate... yeah there's a few more... you want something else? Ugh, okay. No, no I can do something. No. It's fine.

I also like egg drop soup, and although I like the Chinese takeout version, I tend to do to one that's a little different.

Egg Drop Soup

3 cups chicken or beef broth or you could do bullion cubes, here I did Chicken broth, and added a couple beef bullion cubes to give it some extra flavor.
    1 Large egg or 2 small ones --can do more if you feel so inclined.
    1 cup Spinach
    Salt and Pepper to taste if you feel so inclined.
    I also add scallions or onion to the soup on occasions when I have 'em, but the winter hasn't been good to my plants and I used the last onion in the dumplings Razz

Okay, so put the Chicken Broth and bullion cubes into a pan and bring it to a boil.

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup 2nsc0md
    yea great, cubes in broth

Julliene the spinach and set it aside.

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup 2q0krqr
    little strands of tastiness I think

Mix the eggs and set that aside too. When the broth is finally boiling, turn off the heat and slowly poor in the egg mix while you stir. After the eggs gone and the "threads" are made add in the spinach then stir that in a little.

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup Qrkh88
    woot

Done. Boom. Win.

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup 19343q
    Yum?

Makes about 30 dumplings, 2 cups of dipping sauce, and 3 cups (durr) of soup.

Overall: I liked it, I hope you do too.

Show me your Q's and I'll give you some A's.
    Nord Belka
    Nord Belka
    Skymarshal
    Skymarshal

Alliance : WFF

Character sheet
    RPG Nation Name: Belkan Federation
    RPG Nation Ruler: Grey Men

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup Empty Re: Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup

Post by Nord Belka Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:56 am

Is this for real?? Haha this is the coolest shit ever! Im gonna have to go shopping now but not before posting some recipes Very Happy
    Melutar
    Melutar
    Commandant
    Commandant

Character sheet
    RPG Nation Name: Salacion Empire
    RPG Nation Ruler: Melutar

Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup Empty Re: Steamed Pork Dumplings with Dipping Sauce and Egg Drop Soup

Post by Melutar Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:06 am

merdesa... not even the homo of the alliance cooks...

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:08 am

hahahahahhahaha since sincere isnt on too much merdesa becomes the women of the alliance and does the cooking Razz
    Nord Belka
    Nord Belka
    Skymarshal
    Skymarshal

Character sheet
    RPG Nation Name: Belkan Federation
    RPG Nation Ruler: Grey Men

Post by Nord Belka Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:14 am

Wow way to be a sexist... usually the secret WFF recipes are for officers only, be grateful we are sharing Wink

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 am

wait everyone cant see this?
    chauncy
    chauncy
    Deputy Skymarshal
    Deputy Skymarshal

Post by chauncy Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:27 am

No everyone can. But we all need to eat, and after a good war we need gooder food Razz

Also Nord, for the sauce, make sure you taste it, I dunno how accurate those numbers are as I just guessed after I made it.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:29 am

true true Very Happy

dont worry you are not really a woman

and i cook too nord Very Happy....im not sexist...i just go along with all the sexist jokes

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:07 pm

i have that same type of plate. random random random

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:42 pm

I'll try it some day. Looks very good.
    Melutar
    Melutar
    Commandant
    Commandant

Character sheet
    RPG Nation Name: Salacion Empire
    RPG Nation Ruler: Melutar

Post by Melutar Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:11 pm

Nord Belka wrote:Wow way to be a sexist... usually the secret WFF recipes are for officers only, be grateful we are sharing Wink

Actually it was more of a homophobic remark Razz
    chauncy
    chauncy
    Deputy Skymarshal
    Deputy Skymarshal

Post by chauncy Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:27 pm

I think he meant tonder's sincere thing.

Sincere can do the dishes when she gets back though Razz

And that's not sexist, that's an order!

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:33 pm

hahahahah Very Happy

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:23 am

o/

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:53 am

MMMMMMMM im hungry right now so this sounds so good right now

Post by Guest Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:52 pm

i just tried making this and mine looks like a burnt slug

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:51 am

hahahahhaa

Post by Guest Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:31 pm

>_<
    chauncy
    chauncy
    Deputy Skymarshal
    Deputy Skymarshal

Post by chauncy Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:42 am

shogar23 wrote:i just tried making this and mine looks like a burnt slug

Lol what did you burn exactly? Or they just look burnt?
    coekrix
    Allied Diplomat
    Allied Diplomat

Post by coekrix Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:09 am

it's sound delicious

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm